Ghana Pictured

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

On Motherland Soil

Everyone, I am here and have been for the past three days. there is a lot going on for me and the other teachers in my group. The sights, the sounds, the smells of the people keep one's senses awake, refreshed, rejuvenated, and in the reality of what is really real about Ghana.

Several history lessons -- with a political/educational background flavor add knowledge to the mix of what I didn't know before I landed. Ghanaian Independence Day, March 6, from the year 1957 which was begun by the first Ghanaian leader, Nkrumah! Students, please tell me where he went to school for college??? Post the answer in your comment. Then find the Big Six, the men of Ghana Leadership.

A photo of Ghanaian money above shows all of the leaders.

A stand-out about Ghanaian culture, being left-handed -- a NO-NO! You must greet all people with your right hand from your right side. If you must use your left hand, then have your right hand touching your left arm to show respect and more. So I am learning to not just grip folks' hand with both mine when meeting and greeting. How might this feel if you were left-handed? (All my students can answer this).

Food, food and more food -- I am yammin'!! The tastes of Ghana agrees with my tongue, I have not turned down anything but ice in my glass. I can't drink the water, unless bottled.

Visiting the U.S. Embassy was eventful. Meeting with a host of Ghanaian teachers who had also taught in the USA. They don't understand how US students lack the pride and honor in having the privilege to get an education with all our resources in the classroom. Some days in Ghana, the electricity goes out and it may be hours before returning. The Internet -- s-l-o-w...

Prior to entering the Embassy, one of our own teachers took a photo despite the sign clearly posted on all the gates -- NO PHOTOGRAPHY!!! Our van was stopped, emptied, the teacher culprit had his camera taken. The photo was deleted. His passport checked, his photo taken and then our local guide and van driver had to have their photos taken and forms completed for all of them. We all survived the fiasco without further incident. However, a scary realty check -- follow instructions, especially when not living in your country.

Anyway... to market - to market and the people are so poor. The artisans -- so many of them, thankful for the drive-by shopping spree!

Electric Slide Ghana style


4 comments:

  1. Hi Breese,
    I'm glad to know that you are having a positive experience. Cultural differences always make a difference. Take care and keep me updated. I'm in class tonight and finally had time for me. Come on 2:45p tomorrow. Enjoy........
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I called you. I think I left a message. I will call again soon. My International phone calls the world!!! Nothing like our USA cell phone plans.

      Delete
  2. If I were left handed it would feel weird because I would be used to doing everything with my left hand. In America, in our generation we usually shake people with our right hand anyway, so it shouldn't be to much of a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kwame Nkrumah traveled to the United States to attend Lincoln University. At Lincoln Nkrumah received his B.A. In Economics and Sociology. After his completion at Lincoln he attended The University of Pennslyvania in Philadelphia where he obtained an M.Sc. degree in Education and an M.A. in Philosophy.
    -Marcus M

    ReplyDelete