Ghana Pictured

Friday, May 16, 2014

Intramural Track & Field, Regional too

Right before I felt a little under the weather, I observed and cheered with the girls for their dormitory halls at the annual Intramural Track & Field event. It was such fun watching the girls compete amongst one another, and serve water to those in need of reviving. It was 90 or more degrees outside that day. The comedy - the all female ambulance squad equipped with gurney and ambulance smocks for easy identification. Those girls did more dancing than running to help their peers, but they always carried their cases to the nurse who sat at the bottom of the onlookers. I had a ball!

I was told the girls volunteer to run without any real formal training, some are real competitors in the sport. Those girls are the ones who had everybody on their feet as they flew to the finish line. I must say how surprised I was to see even more girls running barefoot in their heat. Upon asking about it, I was told if they make it to Regionals, they will be loaned running shoes owned by APGSS. I was pondering and shaking my head, "All those once worn, got a smudge on them, pairs of sneaker in the States..." The courage, simplicity, bravery, determination of the girls was astounding. Nevertheless, the girls who move on toward Regional competitions will receive training from the teachers in the physical education department.

The DJ was hyped, the speakers were jumping and the MC for the event, a male teacher, was all pumped. Now, my students know I am the Queen of MC's at Overbrook and often that day -- I wanted to take the mic and give them a little of what West Philly likes --
    
 when they hear my voice give 'dem rhyming sounds, grooving to the spirit of all those around --     swaying the crowd this way and that -- taking count of all da' claps, when at first glance those teens makes me quiver, but the shiver ceases when the first child takes a picture. 
And then we rock and we roll, all the Black ancestral soul
 enters the room while we take flight -- to do what we might 
raising the roof - the legacy of Panther Country. Ya' heard me

Oops upside my head, I forgot -- I'm here on the blog, not spittin' on the mic. Anyway, the girls who watched the action were cheering, dancing, singing and just having a good time. Not unlike our children, some of them knew all the lyrics to every track. My question, "What are the grades like when you know all that music?" Momma Albs, Senior Housemistress said I was on to something and to check those girls later. I shall see.

















Hats off to the teaching staff who make all this possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment